Jersey will be a healthier, more productive and fairer society by being one of the most physically active populations in the world.
More active people for a healthier island.
Jersey will increase physical activity by 10%, by 2030.
It’s a staggering fact that in Jersey, 49% of adults and 81% of children and young people do not meet the World Health Organisation’s recommended guidelines for physical activity.
This means these adults and children are not active enough to have a positive impact on their health and well-being. For adults the World Health Organisation (WHO) guideline is 150 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity per week and for children it is 60 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity daily.
The Inspiring an Active Jersey Strategy has been produced to tackle this issue of inactivity within the island and Jersey Sport will drive this strategy forward.
Delivering the vision and mission of the strategy will require long-term collaboration and determination. A set of principles have been created which act as ‘glue’ that runs throughout the strategy and serves to continually harness and focus the efforts required to tackle the significant challenges, presented by physical inactivity.
1. The opportunity to be regularly active will be fair and equitable.
2. Islanders will be encouraged and supported to embed active living into their everyday.
3. We are a proud sporting island that celebrates sporting success from grassroots to greatness; built on a foundation of enjoyment.
4. Sport and Active Living is an essential thread that is weaved throughout the fabric of Jersey; it contributes significantly to quality of life and will be included as a priority in all relevant policy.
5. Supporting islanders to be more physically active is a collective responsibility requiring adequately resourced collaboration across all government departments, the private sector and the volunteer and community sectors.
The World Health Organisation’s guidelines for physical activity is 150 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity per week for adults and 60 minutes of moderate or vigorous physical activity daily for children.
INSPIRING AN ACTIVE JERSEY – THEMES, OUTCOMES AND AMBITIONS OVERVIEW